Champagne Blanc de Blanc: Mumm is the Word


"Champagne, if you are seeking the truth, is better than a lie detector. It encourages a man to be expansive, even reckless, while lie detectors are only a challenge to tell lies successfully." -- Graham Greene

It has been said, "Grease is the Word," but in this case, with this brilliant Champagne I think someone may want to rewrite the song. Here's my suggested rewrite, what-do-ya think?

"They think our love is just a growin' pain….Why don't they understand? It’s just a cryin' shame…..Their lips are lyin', only real Champagne is Champagne…...stop the fight right now, we all know how it makes us feel - Mumm is the word!"

Today's Wine of the Week: G.H. Mumm "Mumm de Cramant" Blanc de Blancs Brut Champagne is one beautiful Blanc de Blanc, which quickly shows off its luxurious lacy texture immediately, mad sex appeal found here. I'm so glad I avoided enjoying this Champagne in a flute, and instead, I poured it into one of my new Bordeaux stems and yes I enjoyed this bottle with a seemingly pedestrian meal of Fish & Chips, but they did make beautiful music together. Mumm is the Word!

Here's how Mumm describes this beautiful bottle of bubbles: 

"Mumm de Cramant is a precious cuvée made in the purest Champagne tradition since 1882. A single cru cuvée of incomparable purity, blended in the time-honored tradition with a strict selection of 100% Chardonnay Cramant wines. Indeed an excellent Champagne to grace any occasion."


Most of the time, these statements are just blah, blah, blah 'our wine is world class juice,' but in this case, I'd have to say I'm in 100% agreement with the statement above. If asked to take a lie-detector, then Champagne is my kind of lie detector, hook me up again and again. 

Tasting Note: You'll find this Cramant quite vibrant and creamy. Persistent, lip smacking acidity greets you with delightful flavors of freshly baked patisserie pear, bright honey-crisp apples, toasted almonds, a drop of honey and scented by acacia blossoms. This amazing juice is punctuated by a delicious note of smoky minerality, quietly playing bass in the background, and a long, sumptuous finish will have you thinking about opening another bottle. 

Is this bottle of Champagne from Mumm worth the price of admission? I'd like to say it succinctly, in a word, absolutely. If you'd like to find out why Champagne can be so very captivating, why the name 'Champagne' should be protected; it's because, in my mind, a bottle like this one exemplifies what it means to be Champagne. There is no comparison. 

I've tasted many Champagnes, and I've also sampled plenty of domestic bubblies, but nothing prepared me for what I'd find in this bottle. I scored this bottle 94 points, this folk is how you do it, and selling for an average price of $59 at a few select retailers. Full Disclosure: this bottle is a media sample. Okay, that's all I've for today, I hope you have a great Wine Wednesday, pop some corks and enjoy, remember Mumm is the Word cheers!

Comments

Jeffrey Kralik said…
Great post! I love me some Mumm!

Popular Posts